HIM Externship Coordinator
Blue Ridge Community & Technical College
Introduction: The HIM Externship Coordinator is responsible for the oversight of all HIM Externship sites in coordination and under the direction of the HIM Program Coordinator (PC). This is a full time faculty appointment including teaching 30 credits per year.
- Demonstrate deep subject knowledge of the HIM field including key concepts, current and relevant research methodologies, tools, and techniques, and meaningful applications
- Identify, establish, monitor, and evaluate all externship sites ensuring they reflect a diversity of opportunities available in the HIM field.
- Visit all sites at least 1 time during a 16 week semester to support relevant and comprehensive student learning experience.
- Verify students meet the credentialing requirements of assigned facilities and that all required documentation has been submitted to the healthcare agencies.
- Schedule students to appropriate clinical sites, monitor and assess student success and completion of required hours.
- Work with PC to establish alignment of clinical experiences with course/program outcomes/goals.
- Serve as the first point of contact for resolution of issues that may arise between staff at the clinical site and students.
- In conjunction with PC, coordinate a student orientation to the HIM program.
- Select and develop instructional materials; plan and organize instruction to enhance student learning; create appropriate assignments for a 30 credit faculty load per academic year
- Advise students regarding program requirements, course progression, and academic standing.
- Use a variety of proven methods of engagement that facilitate student mastery of the content; Evaluate student learning by creating and applying AHIMA’s course competencies and accurately evaluating student progress.
- Assist PC with maintaining CAHIIM accreditation including but not limited to evaluating and revising curriculum and completing reports.
- Maintain professional credentials as required by AHIMA.
- Attend required meetings and campus events (ie. open houses, campus orientations, high school nights).
- Organize and lead program advisory board meetings; Invite HIM professionals representing a cross section of the HIM field.
- Collaborate with faculty and staff from across the college through assigned committees.
- Other duties as assigned
- Demonstrated ICD-10-CM/PCS experience.
- Effective communication and clinical experience in creating clinical education sites. placing and/or supervising HIM students.
- Proficient with Electronic Health Record (EHR) systems. Experience using online learning management systems (ie. Blackboard).
- Ability to teach all courses in the HIM program.
- Must have professional certification by American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) such as a RHIA or RHIT.
- AHIMA credentials such as CCS, CCA preferred.
- Experience in the HIM Field – 3 years
- Teaching experience – 2 years preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in the HIM or related field OR Associates Degree in the HIM field with demonstrated competency of the field.
- For more information about benefits click here.
Instructions for Resume Submission: Apply Online