Coding Specialist III
Bryan Medical Center
Bryan Health is a Nebraska governed, nonprofit health system that cares for patients, educates tomorrow’s health care providers, motivates our community with fitness and health programs, and collaborates to continually improve how we serve others.
Our award-winning network of doctors, hospitals and medical providers ensures the highest quality of care and the most advanced, effective treatments for those we serve throughout the region. Through our statewide networks we bring care and treatment directly to rural communities through sophisticated mobile diagnostic and treatment services, telemedicine services, specialized heart care clinics, telehealth mental health counseling and more.
With more than 5,000 highly trained staff members, we take our commitment to provide the best care, the best education, the best wellness and recovery services, and the best work environment seriously. For you, we commit to continually move forward, together.
The Coding Specialist III thoroughly reviews the clinical content of inpatient medical records and assigns appropriate ICD-10-CM Codes to diagnoses and procedures codes for optimal reimbursement.
Principal Job Functions:
- *Commits to the mission, vision, beliefs and consistently demonstrates our core values.
- *Reviews hospital inpatient medical record documentation and properly identifies and assigns:
- ICD-10-CM and/or ICD-10-PCS codes for all reportable diagnoses and procedures. This includes determining the correct principal diagnosis, co-morbidities and complications, secondary conditions and surgical procedures.
- MS-DRG, APR-DRG
- Present on admission (POA) indicators
- Hospital Acquired Conditions (HAC)
- Discharge disposition code (reviews for accuracy)
- This includes utilizing technical coding principles and MS-DRG reimbursement expertise to assign ICD-10-CM diagnoses and procedures as well as abstracting the code assignments according to facility guidelines.
- *Meet and/or exceed the established inpatient production standards.
- *Meet and/or exceed the established quality standard of 95% accuracy rate while meeting and/or exceeding production standards.
- Maintains a thorough and updated knowledge of Official Coding Guidelines, Medicare Administrative Contractor (MAC) directives, Coding Compliance standards and Local and National Medical Review Policies.
- Assists in identifying solutions to reduce and resolve back-end coding edits.
- Queries physicians appropriately as needed when the documentation is not clear and follows up on queries.
- *Provides education to facility healthcare professionals and medical staff in the use of coding guidelines and practices, proper documentation techniques, and query monitoring to assist with documentation improvement activities.
- Assists with coding quality review activities for accuracy and compliance.
- Maintains knowledge of coding guidelines by self-study and additional education as outlined by the manager.
- *Maintains strict confidentiality regarding patient information.
- *Mentors and trains new coding staff members.
- Participates in all meetings.
- *Works as a team member to ensure all coding is accurate and meets turnaround standards.
- Adheres to relevant policies, procedures, regulations and expectations of Bryan Medical Center.
- Abides by Code of Ethics and the Standards for Ethical Coding as set forth by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) and adheres to all Official Coding Guidelines.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Knowledge of anatomy, physiology, pharmaceuticals, medical terminology, disease process and ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS Coding.
- Knowledge of computer hardware equipment and software applications relevant to work functions including Microsoft Office.
- Ability to meet high standards for work accuracy and productivity.
- Ability to prioritize work demands and work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Advanced problem-solving skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality relevant to sensitive information.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of personnel, medical staff, volunteer and ancillary departments.
- Ability to lead team activities and work as a team member.
- Ability to mentor and train other personnel in coding practices and proper documentation techniques.
Education and experience:
High school diploma or equivalency required. RHIA (Registered Health Information Administrator), RHIT (Registered Health Information Technician) or Certification as a CCS or CCS-P (Certified Coding Specialist) or Certified Professional Coder (CPC) required.
Minimum of two (2) years coding experience in a medical environment required.
- Attractive Compensation Package
- Retirement Savings Account 401(k) with match
- Paid Time Off with Cash Out Option
- Generous Health Benefits Package including medical, dental and vision
- Pre-Tax Savings Plan
- Short Term Disability
- Long Term Disability
- Employee Wellness Program, Plus so Much More!
Instructions for Resume Submission:
Apply Online: https://www.bryanhealth.com/careers/